Where - Participant in the workshop Designing For Connected Devices at Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design (CIID) When - 27-31 July 2015 How - Prototyping, interaction design.
In a nutshell
In July 2015 I spent a week of my holiday time designing a product at the Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design. I enrolled in a 5-day long workshop focussing on using prototyping tools such Arduino, 3D printing and laser cutting to design, iterate and communicate concepts of products and services. Above all, the workshop helped me practice my interaction design, concepting and prototyping skills.
The topic of my two-people team was long distance relationships. After a brainstorming session, we defined the space of the problem to be the following:
- The lack of shared moments in a natural context that fits into humans daily routine.
- The forced screen-interactions with pushed-notifications based products (e.g. whatsapp).
- The ‘control-freak mode’ that some instant messaging apps are likely to trigger in some people with a low self-esteem.
To solve these problems we designed ‘simply.talk’. Simply.talk is a screen free digital object that fits into people’s daily routine. Not based on pushed notifications, simply.talk can be used for two actions: talking and sending one vocal message. Simply.talk is not a portable device. Users place it in a specific room of their houses and they can only use it if they are close to it. Simply.talk’s additional peculiarity is the way users interact with it: it must be overturned to be switched on and ‘hugged’ to record or listen to a message.
Our team was composed of two people and we both worked on all phases of the project in equal parts.
- Participated in brainstorming sessions
- Captured and analysed design critique feedback
- Concepted and iterated our final solution
- Selected the materials for the external part of prototype as well as the sensors needed to make ‘simply.talk’ interactive
- Coded with Arduino
- Operated laser cutter and sandling machine to refine details of the prototype
- Wrote the script and shot the video so we could show the functioning of simply.talk
- Co-presented the final concept to CIID representatives and workshop participants
Process and examples
Take a look at another project
Download my CV